She has found the chink in my armor. Monday night she made a simple request - could she make annual phone calls to her friends and favorite teacher in China, AND could she call them all on her birthday as it would make her happy to hear their voices on her birthday. Let's just say it wasn't my finest hour. I got cranky (more on the inside than out) about her ongoing bond to people she left behind. Coupled with the fact that she's never asked when any of our family birthdays are, I just felt extremely put out by the request. One of my first thoughts was, "Why can't they call you once a year for your birthday? Why is it our responsibility to fund this ongoing bond?" DH was more reasonable and reminded me that her desire and need to "call home" will diminish over time and it's been less than 2 months since she left.
Today, during a geography lesson about Christopher Columbus having an oops moment and bumping into the Americas on his way to China, she pulls out the translator to tell me that she is going back to China when she is 18. Why? Because she is Chinese. I explained to her that she is actually Chinese-American now. She pointed out that while she might be an orphan and not know who her parents were or the location of her birth, she knows China is her country of origin. I suggested she might want to stay until after she finished college because she will need to find a job whether she stays in America or returns to China. She said she plans to be a math teacher. Not sure if that doesn't require a college degree in China, but clearly her thoughts right now are that this situation with us is temporary and she WILL return to China. I told her that when we adopted her, she became our daughter forever, just like her big sister JJ. I said we would miss her if she went back to China. She tried to comfort me saying that it was still 6 years away. I replied that was 6 years to love her more and miss her even more.
Now clearly, she is not the one with the problem here. It is me. Even as I was having an emotional reaction during the events and now as I revisit them in my thoughts I am well aware that I am over-reacting. We are still just another in a series of caregivers she has had in her life. None of them were permanent. She doesn't understand permanence. She does understand and hold tight to her cultural and ethnic identity. No one can take that from her.
I realize that what I am seeking at some level is gratitude, appreciation, and mutual love. Our adoption preparation told us that while most parents hope for or maybe even expect some degree of appreciation or gratitude for adopting, few ever get it. How many of us have ever had a child we physically birthed come home one day and say, "Hey Mom & Dad, thanks for deciding to bring me into this family"? It just doesn't happen. And gratitude from our kids isn't why we became parents in the first place.
It is far too early for her to be feeling love for us. There is a degree of jealousy in my reactions. I want the bond she has with her teacher. I want that and so much more. I am being impatient. I am being unreasonable. I am being human.
Families who adopt, and I think especially the moms, deal with many emotions. It is easy to express the excitement, anticipation, the frustration with the delays, the nervousness about the unknowns leading up to the "big day". It is much harder to express the disappointment, hurt, and frustration once you're back home. We know we did the right thing, but that doesn't mean that every minute of every day together is pure joy. Sometimes it's a real pain. Sometimes there are hurt feelings (on both sides). Sometimes it is pure joy. Building a parent-child relationship from scratch takes a long time. Doing it with an older child is complicated. Do we have any regrets? Absolutely not! Do I wish I could wave a magic wand and have an instant and perfect bond with my daughter? You bet. Bonding is hard work, and I'm pouting over my bumps and bruises.
Sandy, I so appreciate your honesty! I ran into a mama in China, first adoption of a toddler. She confided in me that she felt like a monster b/c "nobody ever told her it would be hard". My heart broke. I asked her if she fell in love with her husband & trusted him 100% immediately, to which she laughed & felt a bit better. I told her I would be blogging candidly b/c if nobody ever told her, there are probably more that are unprepared for the journey that's only beginning once these children are finally in our arms. Thanks for being real, & here's hugs for your bumps & bruises...hang in there!
ReplyDeleteHi Sandy, I can imagine that it is hard at times. I was reminded when we moved here Markus was 12 and he told me he would go back to G. when he was 14 (because we told him, that is the age when he can choose to go to the Dad). When the time came, he had completely changed his mind! She will, too. But she is a child and expresses what she feels right now. ... I think you are doing a great job and she will grow to love you and her life in America! But it will take time... like everything!!! Patience, patience, we don't like that, right?
ReplyDeleteBut I remember what a great patient and loving Mom you are ... Alice will realize that, too.
XOXO Gu
Sandy, I know this is so hard for you! It would be for me too! ((hugs)) for you!
ReplyDeleteSandy, it is Kate. I need to catch up with you, but I want you to know that I have learned so very much from your journey thus far. You are a realist and honest. It is the foundation of all good relationships - which you will have in time. My biological daughter would regularly tear my heart out by wanting to move as far away as she could when she "grew up". Having grown up, she is still with us. She ws a kid - which is what you have. A kid. A cute kid. take care. kate
ReplyDeleteI promise you, give it a year or so. Keep loving on her and she will feel very very differently. Isaac use to say he wanted to "to go back to Africa". Let's just say that statement hasn't been heard in a long long time!
ReplyDeleteHang in there.
Hi Sandy, I'm touched by your honesty and wistful tone. Mothers get the worst of it, don't we? Alice is expressing herself impulsively, which can hurt. I agree with the other posts - it takes time. My prayers and cheers are with you!
ReplyDelete