I hope you were able to read my thoughts back around the beginning of February about Do(ing) Something and What (more) to do? February was a time of thoughtful consideration and conversation. With Lent this year starting mid-February I think it is more than coincidence that we as a family decided to add something and give up something.
With joyful anticipation we have decided to add one more child to our family. This week we are submitting our Letter of Intent to adopt a beautiful, articulate girl from China who has waited over 12 years for a family. She also happens to have a vision impairment.
So what did we give up? I guess you could say we have given up the typical American idea of what people "our age" normally do - early retirement, travel, focusing on "us" after all those years of taking care of our children. When we watch Alice and Lucy thriving, receiving excellent education and medical services and listening to their laughter and enthusiastic "hello" when we walk in the door, it just doesn't feel like a sacrifice. According to our state health inspection (done before the first adoption), we have adequate bedroom space for 3 children. It just seemed wasteful not to put all of it to good use, so we are heading back to China.
Yes, it is getting expensive. 3 adoptions and 3 trips in just over 2 years. Yes, we have more expenses now with Alice and Lucy. Yes, God has provided - above and beyond what we could have imagined when we started in 2011. Yes, you can help.
I realize that God can provide in many ways, including through the help of our family, friends and community. I also realize that adopting is not a path every family can take, but there are families that still want to do something. We are not going to do fundraisers. If you feel led to help with a financial gift, please contact me through the email address listed in my profile. What we would appreciate most of all are your prayers, specifically for the process, for our family and for our new daughter.
As with the previous 2 adoptions, we are restricted from sharing photos or too much personal information about our new daughter until we are about 3/4 of the way through the process. That should be around the end of the summer. Because we are starting this adoption so soon after getting home with Lucy, our agency has requested that, even if we are so fortunate to have a quick process, they would prefer we not travel until close to Lucy's one year anniversary. That would put this trip no sooner than around Thanksgiving.
Once again God opened many doors that I expected to be closed AND LOCKED, but each opened with relative ease. It is amazing what happens when you make yourself available and then let God take over. I confess to only having brief moments when I can do this. Too often I try to handle the details myself, but in those moments when everything is clearly beyond my control and I know only God can do this I am reminded how much better it is to let go. Just wish I could put that into practice a lot more often!
PS - Because I see more folks visiting from Facebook who may not have followed our previous adoptions, let me just say that we would not be starting a third adoption if Alice and Lucy weren't doing so well. Alice's adoption and transition has been the closest thing to an "easy adoption" as you will find. Lucy's has been more challenging with some yet-to-be-answered questions, but even with that our process has been several steps forward for each small set-back/hold-up. In addition, we have found a wonderful support system and also believe we are following this path with God's guidance and provision. Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying that it will be easy, but it is something we feel compelled to do and we are looking forward to it with great joy.
I love reading this first thing! Yay for another daughter that will know the love of family & of Jesus!! Blessings to you on your journey to bringing her home!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dardi! We are over the top excited! I was worried that the responses would be negative to a third so soon, but God has it in hand (duh!) LOL Everyone has been happy for us and supportive. Just more confirmation that it is the right thing for us and for her.
DeleteSo happy for your family, Sandy! Yes, you are giving up something for Lent--and beyond. Blessings :)
ReplyDeleteWow. You guys are amazing. These children are truly blessed to have you as parents. Excited to read the updates of your new addition. Excited for you guys
ReplyDeleteI know that one day I want to adopt, I do not have the means at all at this point in time but I love to read about other peoples experiences especially the ones who share everything from the good to the not so good because I think it is so easy to get in your head that all adoptions are going to be easy.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited that you are able to take this trip once more and as I read this post I kept hearing the name Sophie.
So excited for you! God bless you on your journey. Please let us know how we can help!
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you!!! Congrats!:)
ReplyDeleteWow. This is amazing. So wonderful for the girls and you all.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to read this! :)
ReplyDeleteOh Wow! This is really exciting news!!! Best Wishes to you and your family as you move forward!
ReplyDelete