So I'm not quite 100% sold on Erin. Surprise!
My oldest daughter was over this afternoon and found a really nice list of girl names from children's literature. There is Alice (from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll) and Lucy (from The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis), but alas, no Erin. (If you know of a literary connection for Erin, please share!)
This led to another web site with a list of great children's books. While perusing the list I see Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, which I confess I've not read. (I know, inexcusable, but I really have read A LOT of books! This one just slipped through the cracks I guess.) Anyway, I'm reading the synopsis and see the names of the 4 sisters: Jo, Beth and Meg (those I remember hearing before), but the last one, Amy, I honestly didn't recall. I loved the descriptions of the girls, "independent, tomboyish Jo; delicate, loving Beth; pretty, kind Meg; precocious and beautiful Amy, the baby of the family".
Now Amy was on our short list of names before we learned Alice already had a name (See posts here, here and here). And then it has been running neck and neck with Erin this time around. Our newest daughter will be the baby of the family (I promise, no more adoptions! We really are out of bedrooms!), our 4th daughter and, coincidently, "precocious and beautiful" match the description we have of her too. Plus I just really like the literary connections. So what to do?
Alice and Lucy can pronounce Amy much better than Erin. Between their speech issues and Chinese accents, they just can't say the "er" in Erin well at all.
And in case you're interested, Amy is longer than Erin in braille, but only by one cell.


I was wondering about the literary connection. I couldn't find anything for Erin either. I like Amy! (You really should read Little Women, though, to be sure ;-)
ReplyDeleteMy daughter says, Daisy from Gatsby, LOL.
ReplyDeleteSorry, not trying to confuse you even more. Stick with Amy.
Well Daisy is a new one! Can you believe I missed it? LOL Cute, but I think I still like Amy better.
DeleteI like Amy. I think all the girls having a 'connected' name is a wonderful idea (we did the same kind of thing with our two daughters). Little Women is a GREAT book! I've read it several times. It is an easy read- you should check it out.
ReplyDeleteBest!
After sleeping on "Amy" for 2 nights, I'm feeling much more content with the choice than I did with "Erin". I think we may have our name!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I'm going to read Little Women - SOON!
with the literary names it would be cool if you gave each of the girls a copy of their book in the form of a first addition (or at least a collector's binding) you can find them if you look for them.
ReplyDeleteI have a very old copy of Little Women that I found in the basement of my local library and bought it at a book sale for almost nothing even though it is a collectible.