Saturday, March 9, 2013

Names - Third time around

Once we made the decision to start adoption number 3, we ran into a small problem talking about it - what do we call her? Her Chinese name is Tong Min J. From my research all (or nearly all) the kids named at her orphanage have the same surname (Tong) and "first" name (Min), only the 3rd name is unique. Tong is for the county where they were found and Min means "of the people" or possibly an indication of their orphan status. I'm not sharing permitted to share the third name until we are nearly finished with her adoption.

The people and agencies who advocate for these kids on the internet usually give them an English pseudonym - a temporary, easy to use name that protects their privacy. Tong Min J-'s most recent pseudonym was "Erin" and before that it was "Tallulah". I'll start by saying that Tallulah was never in the running. But Erin has potential. Steve likes it. Alice and Lucy like it. Some friends and teachers we've shared the news with like it. Me - I'm lukewarm about it.

As time passes, we are naturally telling more people about the adoption and about … her. See, that's where it gets awkward. Referring to her by anything other than a name feels impersonal. I've resorted to mostly using her Chinese first name(s), Min J-. Alice & Lucy use that as well. Steve uses "the girl" or "the new girl". But people are interested in what her English name will be and honestly, so are we.

While Lucy was "Lucy" well before we started her adoption, we went through a similar experience with Alice wondering what her name would be. We are doing the same thing we did then - we have Min J's picture on the 'frig next to Alice and Lucy. A small white board next to it has potential names listed. As names come to mind (mostly my mind!) they are posted and tried on for size. Some last a few days, some only a few hours, some disappear for a while only to come back again.

Min J-. will be our caboose, our 6th and final child. Not only are we looking for a name that fits her personality (as best we understand it from her picture & limited information), but we want it to fit with the rest of the train ahead of her. Some names currently under consideration are -

Erin - for reasons stated above
Anna - suggested by a certain big sister
Sally - suggested by family friend
Jen/Jenny/Jennifer - one of my suggestions
Shannon - a name we considered for Alice
Heidi - the newest addition (interesting tidbit - turns out Heidi & Alice have the same meaning and origin. I also like that it continues a literary connection: Alice (Alice in Wonderland), Lucy (Chronicles of Narnia), Heidi (Heidi, of course!)

I know it's hard not having her picture to look at, but feel free to submit your suggestions!

UPDATE: We learned this weekend that in China Tong Min J- is called J- J- which is a common nicknaming practice (doubling the third name). This makes sense with all the kids sharing the same first 2 characters (Tong Min). This adds a reason for selecting the Jen/Jenny/Jennifer idea.

Both Lucy and Alice have names they used in China. Alice was given her English name by a JieJie at the orphanage (an older girl/young lady who helps the nannies, but isn't (yet?) a nanny herself - I've still haven't quite sorted out who this person is). We asked if by chance Alice had an English name already that she wanted to keep and were told yes and it was "Alice". Lucy was given her name by her foster mom. It was a nickname for her in China, used occasionally at home and by the many English-speaking volunteers who visited Eagles' Wings or worked at the summer camps she attended. She was also asked if she wanted to keep "Lucy" when she came to America.

From what I've found out, the area of China where Tong Min J- lives doesn't see many English-speaking visitors. We assume that she probably doesn't have much (any) exposure to English and intend to select a name for her. Jennifer (or one of it's variations) combined with J- would give her a new name with phonetic similarity to the one she has had for the first 12+ years of her life.

PS: I'm loving the suggestions! Please don't stop. :)

7 comments:

  1. I have the name Sophie in my head but I like all your thoughts on names except Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a pretty good pitch for Heidi. I love the literary connections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had another email with a "like" for Heidi.

    Hubby said we could add Michelle to the list of consideration.

    For those who don't know the names of the entire "train", we have:
    Steve & Sandy (co-engines!), Kevin, Matthew, Molly, Lucy, Alice and _____ .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should go with an American name. Heidi sounds too German to me. All your names are American. Just a thought. ...I like Erin a lot. Second choice Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra-
    You and I are in the same boat! Our "new daughter" doesn't have a new name either. We refer to her as the "new daughter" but that seems so awkward! I have a list of names that changes here and there every week. I'm very particular and slow about choosing names. Can I ask if your daughter is from a northern province? Our youngest daughter's surname was Tong and she's from Heilongjiang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the names having a literary connection. If not Heidi, maybe something else. Clara- from the Nutcracker; Wendy- Peter Pan; Nancy- Fancy Nancy Series. I bet google would come up with lots of suggestions if you want to go that route.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have several pages in my little journal book with the names I've listed on the fridge. They come and go there, but it's fun to keep a record. New names thrown into the mix in the last week from internet searches and friends include:

    Nora, Betsy, Ellen, Suzy (Susie), Maggie, Bonnie, Janet

    Erin, Amy and Jen are staying on the fridge longer than most of the others we've tried.

    ReplyDelete