Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Costs/Funding

I've added a new page outlining the costs for our newest adoption. It tracks close to what we spent on the previous adoptions. The fact that adoption is expensive is no secret. We are not rich by any measure. Only through God's provision we have financed two adoptions in a relatively short time.

While recognizing that cost can be a real barrier to adoption for some, it is also easy to allow it to be an excuse not to consider adoption. The most common cost comparison I've seen is purchasing a new automobile. Many cars today cost as much or significantly more than the cost of adoption, but people find a way to purchase a car. Now there is no way that adopting a child compares in any way to a new car, but the costs are in the same ballpark. Also, adoption costs are spread out over the entire process, with the largest chunk due near the end, some 8-15 months after you start the process. I write this as food for thought. If you're considering adoption, know that barriers like cost can be overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment