Wanted to share with how we've turned a possible pinch point into leverage for good outcomes. This weekend Alice expressed her desire to go to school. Why? because being an only child is lonely (no surprise) and she'll learn more (ouch). Apparently I didn't challenge her enough last week in our first full week of homeschool.
SOOOOO -
I probed to see just how strong the desire to go to school really is and what she's willing to do to make it happen. I asked if she would be willing to give up her Chinese videos and music and spend more time learning English. She agreed! I don't intend for her to never get to watch her shows again, but she has been spending too much time immersed in Chinese when her time would be better spent building her English language skills.
I also told her, no more nice teacher. I would become more strict and demanding. We would use more English and rely less on the computer translators. She would have a strict bedtime and school start time. I told her that we would not allow her to start school without being prepared to handle the work. She wants to try starting at grade level for her age, 7th or 8th, a near impossibility by this fall in my opinion, but she is a bright and determined girl, so we'll see how far she can go in 5 months.
The Results -
We had a great day! We did all the same things we did each day last week, but with more English use (from both of us!). We did spend more time on the phonics/spelling. AND she had homework after we finished our work together. She had to copy a short poem about rain (which she has to memorize by Friday), study a short list of math vocabulary, watch a Disney video (in English), review her vowels with her dad, and practice riding her bike!
The pay off has started already. She was making considerable effort to express herself in English without the translators. She would reach for a dictionary when she couldn't come up with the word. She was in a great mood all day. We had conversation with her over dinner - a first. (Difficult to eat when your using a keyboard or dictionary to talk. Much easier when using voice only!)
Easter report -
Our first Easter was very low key. I prepared a small straw purse/beach bag with Easter basket goodies - two of the Lindt chocolate bunnies she's been asking for at the grocery store, new Easter pencils, sidewalk chalk, and new hair clips. I decided not to do Easter eggs. Alice is only been going to church for a month. The last thing I wanted to do was confuse the meaning of Easter with bunnies and eggs. We went to Sunday School and worship. One of our sons, our other daughter (JJ) plus her boyfriend joined as for worship. It was good for Alice to see her siblings worshiping with us. Only our son (K) was able to spend the day with us (his twin brother (M) was away for the weekend with friends & JJ spent the day with her boyfriend's family). Alice enjoys spending time with K. Dinner went well. Alice ate at least a taste of everything on the table, with no wrinkled noses or disgusting looks. That's a hugh triumph!
Picture Promise -
I realize that I've been neglecting pictures for the blog. I need to keep the camera handy and be intentional. I know how much I enjoy seeing pictures on other blogs and I'm sure family and friends enjoy seeing pictures of Alice as she settles into her new life. I promise to try harder!!!
Thanks for the update! That all is good news! It's interesting to read that she is determined to go to school and meet other kids. It's good that she has that desire and goal. I am happy for you that it went well at home! Happy Easter to you all. I hope and pray that one day Alice will, too, understand the meaning of Easter!! I am looking forward to seeing photos and I thought already, maybe one day we will see each other again!! Either here or there!! Wouldn't that be nice!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad things are better! You sound encouraged and strengthened. Easter is such a monumental occasion, and I'm so thankful that a lovely Chinese girl is having exposure to Jesus through you and Steve. The future surely holds good things for Alice and her new family! Love to you all from Mark, David, Lauren, and myself.
ReplyDelete