Something about traveling seems to lead to lower resistance. DH caught a nasty cold while in Guangzhou. Surprise! I now have a cold. Blah. Starting to drag, so don't be surprised if the blog goes quiet for a couple of days.
Alice went to the International Student Office this morning. We have registered her for school. She took their English proficiency test and qualifies for ESL services. No surprise there, but she was only one answer short of scoring a 2 on one section of the test. Overall she scored 1 out of 6. We will be going to her middle school sometime next week (waiting for a phone call to make the appointment) to determine her classes and start date. My guess is she could be starting as soon as the end of next week, but more likely early the following week.
We are still having difficulty getting Alice to speak to us. She will communicate with us extensively, but only through the computer translators, dictionaries, or body language. I suspect that the desire to communicate with kids at school will quickly lower her resistance to using her voice. We shall see.
So glad you are home, and Alice is doing well. I enjoyed following your blog in China. Alice is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteDoc33 from RQ
Hope didn't talk much in the beginning either. Now she does. Not. Stop. :) In her case I think it was perfectionism mixed in with grief and jet lag.
ReplyDelete