After consulting with our case manager at WACAP and our social worker during our 1 month post adoption visit the adoption experts agree that the arrangement being offered by our local public school system is totally unacceptable. The likelihood that school would become a source of frustration and disappointment, plus the possibility of her never acquiring the skills and knowledge she was losing because of the academic gap (and would need to be a top student again!) were just too high.
(The middle school guidance counselor called shortly after our meeting with the social worker to let me know she gave me incorrect information about the state assessment testing. If Alice started school this week, she would be required to take the makeup tests for kids not present on test days. I told her after discussing the placement with our case manager and social worker that we would not be sending her to middle school. Her only response (in a rather light and cheery tone) was, what were we thinking instead - elementary or home? Our social worker suggested there was a chance that the school system will actually be relieved not to have to deal with this situation. We'll never know for sure.)
So we are going to homeschool! I confess that I am probably more excited than relieved. Deep down I've known that homeschooling would be a good option in older child adoptions, especially when the kids have not received all the education they should have for their age. I also "know" homeschooling, whereas the public schools were more of an unknown, at least in terms of first hand experience. All my knowledge about the schools is second hand from watching my friends' kids go through the system and from talking to kids in my Sunday School classes over the years.
The last year I "taught" homeschool was JJ's 11th grade year ('05-'06), but at that point she really was doing most of the learning on her own. Fortunately a mom at the homeschool PE class last Friday told me about one of the local support groups. They have a small storefront in a strip mall where families can sell their used curriculum and where they hold various group social events, like game day, lego day, holiday activities, teen night, tween night, etc. While it's easy for me to get spun up about which curriculum we will use, the social worker recommended that we spend the next few months focused on social events. What Alice was probably looking for in requesting to start school and what she needs to help feel more settled here are friends. Other than working on language, the rest of the academics can come later.
So, starting today, we are on the hunt for social activities with other homeschoolers. Because she loves physical activity I will take her to the homeschool PE and kung fu classes at our tai chi school. Thursday we'll attend our first event at the support group - game day. Next week they have an Easter craft activity and sewing class, plus we will go see the science fair they organized one evening.
On a side note - we have ended the daily phone calls to China. On Sunday I told her that she has been calling almost every day for a month. Starting this week she can only call on the weekends. I expected a negative reaction - pouting, sulking, negotiating, something - the only thing she did was clarify did I mean no more calls to China? When I said she could continue to call, but only on weekends, she was fine. Later in the day, she did tell me her favorite teacher's birthdate would be on a Monday next month - would she be able to call her? I said yes, phone calls on weekends and special occasions. She seems to have totally accepted the limitations. An added benefit is she is now sleeping later on weekday mornings! Since she isn't thinking about being finished with breakfast in time to call China, apparently she is allowing herself to sleep as long as she needs. Not being an early morning person, that is totally okay with me!!!
that sounds like a good plan to me! I know you will be the best solution right now ;-)
ReplyDeleteI believe it...your life has changed quite a bit!!
This makes me so happy. I was about to get in my car and drive to your school district and go nuts on them. I am glad this will work out. So happy!!!
ReplyDelete