We took Alice to an Asian cultural event today. The heat wave broke finally and the high today was in the upper 70s! But that was because a cold front complete with heavy gray clouds and drizzle/rain covered the area all day. We drove over an hour to the other side of DC to attend
It looked more promising than it turned out. There were vendors, food booths and entertainment from Thailand, Philippines, Korea, Turkey, Nepal, India and China.
Alice took a purse for the first time. She had her address book, pencil bag (filled with writing utensils) and a small pad of paper. I asked her why she was taking those items and she responded that was so she could write her friend's address. Turns out that Alice had zero interest in anything at the festival. She just wanted to find her good friend or any other kids from her orphanage who are now living in America. She was sure she would see someone at the festival. We made about 4 or 5 circuits around the venue looking for her friends.
There have been more conversations lately about finding kids from her orphanage now living in America. She keeps asking if there is a party for all the kids adopted from China - like for Chinese New Year (which is the biggest of the Chinese holidays). I keep trying to explain to her that there are local groups of families with children from China who have activities, but not every family who has adopted from China participates and those who do are only from a small part of the US. There are many such groups all over America. I think she doesn't grasp the size of the US or the number of families who have adopted children from China.
It is sad that so many of these children lose contact with each other once adopted. I am involved with an online group of families who have adopted children from Beijing. Only a couple of the kids know Alice. Apparently the families who adopted the kids she is most interested in are not involved. I am also active in a couple of other online groups for families who have or are in the process of adopting from China. I have posted requests for any one who knows the friends Alice is looking for to contact me, but have had no replies. Alice doesn't understand why I know some families who have adopted kids from China, but can't find her friends. It is difficult to explain and we revisit the topic frequently.
Alice actually did try one thing at the festival. In the Philippines area there was this children's game and she gave it a try.






I'll be interested to see how long this lasts for her. One thing I've noticed lately at our house is that R has really only 1 friend from China that still calls our house and its a friend who was adopted many, many years ago. I've always encouraged her to keep up these relationships, but she rarely asks to call them (even her very, very best friend). Its like she doesn't want anything to do with them...or doesn't know what to talk to them about...or doesn't have anything in common with them anymore b/c their one commonality was the orphanage and now they don't have that. I'm not really sure. Her best friend's mom & I were discussing that the other day--wondering why both girls just do not seem interested in wanting to talk, or spend time together like they once did. In fact, as we were trying to figure out how to fit in a way for the girls to see each other this summer, both girls were indifferent about it (R even saying she didn't want to) so we opted to scrap it. Once I told R we were scrapping it...she got mad. Go figure.
ReplyDelete