Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wo Ai Ni Mommy Documentary

DH and I watched it this evening. Is it perfect? No. Is it helpful? Yes. It put raw emotion and reality as it unfolded for one family on the screen. It showed those early transition period in a way that books about adoption can't. Many viewers who've left comments on the website didn't like the mother's parenting style. Let's not beat each other up. Did she do things the way I think I would have in her situation? No, but I wasn't in her situation. We don't know what preceded or followed the various clips in the movie.

For me it is about seeing the difficulty of what's to come for Wen and for us. I have no idea what she will know about us, about where we live, what she's been told about adoption or life in America. I don't know what her experiences have been in the orphanage or with her foster family - if they were good, bad or nothing special. I will be parenting those first days, weeks and months as though I'm wearing blinders and earplugs. Not able to understand because we won't be able to communicate easily or clearly. Not able to understand her reaction because I don't know her past or what her image of the future with us is.

There will be times of great emotion - highs and lows. But we will come out on the other end. We will be a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment