Saturday, August 25, 2012

I Hate Playing Games

Because we know that Lucy's adoption must be completed by her birthday, we know the absolute latest dates I can travel. I've been checking the flights and booking flights between mid November and mid December was hit or miss for using frequent flyer miles and expensive if we have to pay for them. Last week I found that I could book my flights for a safe window around Lucy's birthday, but I was 300 points short. There were almost no seats reserved on the flights and I have 380 points about to roll over from my credit card, so I assumed that I could safely book them next week rather than transfer 1000 points from another account (the minimum transfer amount).

Last night I checked my preferred dates and flights and they are no longer available for the miles that I can afford! Really?!?! I am looking at December 1 and 15 and they have made the super saver seating unavailable. That's over 3 months from now! To book a flight I either have to add stops (and extra hours of travel time & layovers & hassles) or pay double miles (which I don't have). 

I'm running the numbers, considering my options and strongly looking at shifting my travel dates a week earlier - WHY? Because the flights I want are available then. I can book my flight to China on Thanksgiving weekend using the lowest number of frequent flyer miles, but not a week later. Crazy. It's a big gamble booking the flights before I have Travel Approval (TA) and a firm Consulate Appointment (CA),

but gee whiz

Lucy is turning 14 on December 10. You'd think that the paperwork could be done in time to travel 2 weeks before her birthday if it can be ready to travel 1 week before. 

4 comments:

  1. It is crazy, isn't it? Often I've seen that once you have airline tickets, the appointments, etc., can be made to accommodate that. Have you got your visa yet? Start that in case you have any trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately my visa from Alice's adoption is still good so I don't have to get another one. The last date I can enter China with my current multi entry visa is December 15, 2012 - a bit close but still valid!

      Delete
  2. What a headache!!! Will US immigration fast track the I-800 process for you? Best wishes for easier planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything right now depends on how quickly CCCWA issues the LSC. US immigration doesn't start expediting until we under 60 days to her birthday. At some point we will hit that milestone and can push harder for fast track status. Until then, "well it's not a crisis, so no rush" seems to be the prevailing attitude.

      Delete