Monday, August 27, 2012

When did you start loving me?

This weekend I think we crossed a significant milestone. Bedtime routine for a couple of months has included a kiss on the top of her head and "I love you" from me. (DH has been more reserved - waiting until he felt the time was right - giving her more time to prepare emotionally since most (all?) of her care givers were women until now.)

Anyway, every now and then and with increasing frequency we are having these short impromptu question and answer sessions - whatever is on her mind. This weekend the question came, "When did you start loving me?"

More questions followed: When did you decide you wanted to adopt? Why did you adopt from China? When did you find me? Why did you pick me? Do you like me or love me? How do my brothers and sister feel about me - thumbs up, thumbs down, so-so?

And so it went for about 10 minutes Saturday afternoon and then again for a few minutes at bedtime Sunday night.

This comes on the heels of Alice letting me & DH hold her hand when we are out and about and even, just ever so slightly, her taking my hand in crowded situations. She is a very self-confident girl, but her ability to allow us to be her protectors, even when it's as simple as holding her hand is huge.

Now she is starting to think about how and why we love her and chose her as our daughter.

Can I get an AMEN!

4 comments:

  1. Oh....a HUGE amen!! So exciting...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this post just made me so happy. I remember the day I had this conversation with Isaac, and by the way, it is still going on 4 years later. I think he likes to be reminded that he is loved! So happy for you

    ReplyDelete