Friday, February 17, 2012

In the Air

 Our United flight is over Russia as I type this (9:50 PM EST, 10:50 AM in China). The live tracking map says we are 4 hours from Beijing. We have a 22km tailwind. We have traveled 4921 miles and currently flying at a speed of 577 mph. We  are at an altitude of 37,000 feet with 2100 miles to go. 

When I did our online check in at home yesterday, I was given the option of upgrading our seats to economy plus for $129 each (just this leg of the trip). Everyone who has traveled to China says it's worth it, so I paid the money and we are SO HAPPY!!! The plus section is maybe half full and we are able to spread out, each of us with our own 3 seat section. JJ* (see below) & DH both have windows sections and I am across the aisle from them with a 3 seat center section. We have been able to sleep laying down, watch movies, and just generally be very comfortable. I walked to the back of the plane to ask one of the flight attendants a question and the regular economy section is almost full. Not only would we not have been able to spread out, but the seats are 5 inches closer together, so I think my knees would almost be touching the seat in front of me. I hope we can upgrade our return flight seats. That day will be 8 hours longer - 3 hour flight from Guangzhou to Beijing and 5 hour layover before our 13.5 hour flight home - so being comfortable would make a long day better. 

I need to work on my list of questions to ask the orphanage director and any staff that come with Alice when we pick her up on Sunday. We have been advised to try to get as much information as possible about her life as there may not be another opportunity. Since Alice is older, she will be able to tell us some things, but it would be good to hear what the adults can tell us. I'm afraid it will feel awkward, but I don't want to miss the opportunity. Alice will be sitting there and I will want to engage her in conversation. Instead I will have to divide my attention between her and the adults. I may task JJ with chatting with Alice while DH and I talk to the staff. 

* JJ is our older DD who from here forward I will refer to her as JJ, short for JieJie  which is "older sister" in Chinese. With 2 daughters now, it will be clearer to whom I am referring.

No comments:

Post a Comment