As you can see from these pictures of the TV show, Alice likes things typical for girls much younger. The boy at the home we stayed at in Beijing commented about her choice of entertainment being for younger kids. He is a year younger than she is, but was more mature, acting more like the 12 year olds we know at home.
Our lunch -
Bad parenting already? Fast food in front of the TV.
See the rubik's cube? That was one of the 3 toys she bought for herself yesterday. We were amazed to watch her scramble it and just as quickly solve it. DH asked her to do a few math problems. She is very confident and quick at basic math, but doesn't know algebra. She said she has learned integers, fractions, decimals and whole numbers. In other words, she has learned arithmetic, but nothing more complex.
She has a very quick mind, but is a complex mix of bright and immature. I am beginning to think we may push the school to place her closer to her emotional/social age. I really think that she is more likely to be teased for her immaturity and naiveté than for her physical disability. I don't see any advantage to rushing her to "grow up". She will have so many other adjustments (language, family, culture, etc.) that asking her to act her age, basically jumping 3-5 years in maturity, will only make the other adjustments more difficult.
If she is allowed to start school one year ahead of where she was in Beijing (still 1-2 years behind her same age peers), she stands a better chance of being able to continue her academic success. She was at the top of her class in Beijing. School was a positive experience in her life. We want that to continue. Throwing her into middle school, going from (Chinese) 4th grade to (American) 6th or 7th, plus the shock of middle school/tween culture doesn't bode well for academic success.









I can appreciate that thinking as far as school is concerned. However, let me offer another thought. Rachel came home from school the other day talking about "this girl who's 15" and in 8th grade. She was talking about how "bad" it was that she was FIFTEEN, like she must be stupid or something. Now, this came just days after she was talking about WANTING take 8th grade over again because its too hard and she didn't want to study anymore. I gently reminded her that if she took 8th grade over again, SHE would be 15 in 8th grade. I tell you this story to ensure you don't neglect the social side of being that much older then her peers. I don't know when Alice's birthday is and if its spring or summer and you could "justifiably" put her in a lower grade, then I'd go for it. However, Rachel's birthday is late September, so she's already one of the oldest in her class. And remember, no matter what grade you put her in, she's going to be behind her peers as they progress in learning, she's going to be behind them as she's trying to learn English while also trying to learn new things as well.
ReplyDeleteThere's not "perfect" formula on what grade to put her in. You have to do what you believe is best for her. And I don't fault you for doing what's best for her. However, the peer emphasis on her age (not just emotional/social age, because we definitely WELL below were we should be here!) will be there.