Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Day 11 - Consulate Appointment and Shopping

Early start to our day for the anticlimactic all important Consulate Appointment - that key time that determined our travel dates. Here it is in pictures:

That's it. That's all there is. We went through security, across a courtyard, into another building, elevator to second floor, entered "the room", got our number from window #7, listened to the "speech" for all adoptive families, took the oath en masse, went up when our number was called (about the 3rd or 4th family called), answered a couple of questions, gave them my fingerprints, Amy said she wanted to go to America when asked, and then we were finished. Exciting, huh! No pictures inside, so this is all you get.

We went for a walk afterwards. The new consulate is located in a newer area of Guangzhou. There are many architecturally interesting high rises and more under construction. It is in the area of the TV tower and stadium built for the World Games (sorry I can't remember the year).

Amy came with this really nifty hair accessory that Alice really likes. We went shopping in the walking district to see if we could find some like it. I also wanted to buy a pearl necklace and a few earrings. Really didn't get much. It was my first time in the walking district though and I finally saw where the Holiday Inn Shifu is located. Very different environment than around the Garden.

No idea what the story is about the transformers, but thought my sons would appreciate the pictures.
I was surpised to see more statues like the ones on Shamian Island. Snapping pictures was difficult as I was mostly working one-handed, with Amy holding my other hand.

No clue what this was about. Looks like some type of blessing offering. It was in front of a shop along the walking district.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment