Saturday, December 7, 2013

Day 7 - Travel

Yesterday was our travel day from Nanchang to Guangzhou. It was a rather dull day except for 2 events. Getting through security at the airport was not fun. I was not impressed with how the security people treated Amy, pulling her (rather than leading her) and then leaving her to stand without Alice or I with her. Then her carry on bag, packed with gifts (stuff) she received as gifts was flagged because one of the nannies gave her a nerf gun. It was too big to fit in a suitcase so I stuck it in her bag. Nerf guns are considered weapons. They told me to put it in our carry on. Well, there was no room, as we were almost overpacked with all this stuff I wasn't expecting. I had to tell them to throw it away. We'll get her a new nerf gun at home.

On the plane Amy complained about her head hurting. No stomach or ear problems, just headache. She tried to sleep. I was able to get her to drink the water they gave us, but she didn't want the food (3 different breads). The ride from the airport to the hotel was about 45 minutes due to traffic. She complained a little about her head and then briefly thought she might be nauseous. The feeling went away and we arrrived at the hotel. Then standing next to the van, collecting our things, right in front of the main front door she says she's going to be sick. Our driver had a bag (he's experienced with these things), so we saved her the embarrasment of getting sick on the ground. A couple of rounds and then she was okay.

We got checked in and up to our room. Amy curled up on the couch and wanted nothing to do with supper. Alice and I were hungry, but couldn't leave her. Helen, our guide for GZ, offered to go nearby and get some takeout for us. Thank goodness.

While Alice took a shower, I got Amy into bed. She slept a few hours (long enough for Alice and I to eat, Alice to go to bed, and I was almost in bed myself), then Amy got up and took a LONG bath and got ready for bed. Everything took longer since we hadn't been able to orient Amy to the new layout in this room or our bathroom. With Alice already asleep, it was up to me to explain what was what. We managed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is totally fascinating to me that she caught so many details about those statues!

    ReplyDelete