Wednesday, December 4, 2013

School subject?

During our visit to Amy's school, the Shanggao Special School, a school for students who are blind or deaf (or possibly other special needs, I did see at least 2 students who had Down Syndrome), Amy's teacher presented me with the paper box in the picture. He was extremely proud of the quality of the work. It was made by Amy in her handiwork class. He said that it was much harder for Amy because of her blindness and took her much longer than the other students, but her work was excellent. While I am impressed with this little paper box (about 3 inches square and 2 inches deep), I am disappointed at what wasn't taught at this school. In the car on our way out that morning I asked Amy what subjects she had at school. She listed math, Chinese, music, PE, art, handiwork. No science. No social studies. No history. No English. Apparently, in China if you are blind you don't need to learn science or history.

I will be taking this into consideration as we decide on grade placement for Amy. She seems to be very bright. She reminds me a lot of Alice in terms of quickness of mind. The girls have been having mini-competitions testing each others' knowledge bases on subjects like songs, lyrics, etc. BUT having no basic background in science or history, plus having to learn English and English braille (literary and math braille), it may make sense to select a placement that gives Amy the maximum number of years possible to complete her compulory education. So much to consider.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment