Thursday, December 12, 2013

Day 13 - Part 3 - Beijing

Today was another travel day. Amy handled it pretty well until I tried to give her a dramamine pill at the Guangzhou airport. We had just left the ticket counter and finished checking our bags when I asked her to take some medicine for the trip. She told Helen that the pills are very bitter. She barely got it down before it started coming back up. We weren't quick enough with a bag so we left a little mess on the floor. But afterwards she was mostly fine. She did get quiet during the wait to board the plane. We were delayed (AGAIN) and sat for 40 minutes before being cleared to take off. She tried to sleep and eventually did doze off. I think she slept maybe 45 minutes or so. When she woke up she was interested in drinking and even ate most of the food when the lunch service came through.

I wish I could have taken pictures when we got off the plane. We had balmy weather in Guangzhou with highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s. None of us realized that the Nanyuan Airport used the old style stairs to exit the plane - you remember - the ones that are fully exposed to the weather and then you walk across the tarmac to the building! No problem except that it was EXTREMELY WINDY and the temperature was somewhere around freezing! I had my coat on because I was carrying most of our bags. The girls, not being loaded down with bags, were carrying their coats. Boy, were they surprised when they walked out the door of the plane. They both started laughing and it only got worse once we made it to the bottom of the stairs and they tried to put their coats on in that crazy wind. They were almost in tears from laughing so hard.

It was great to see another familiar face waiting for us as we left the baggage claim area. Joy was as excited as we were to have us back. We stayed with Joy and Michael during our first trip to China to get Alice and they helped us have a great first week during that initial transition time for Alice. Once we got to the house, Joy gave Amy a tour to make sure she could find her way around safely. Amy is very quick to learn new places.

A special treat for Alice was dinner with her favorite teacher from her school in Beijing. Mrs. Zheng wanted more visiting time with Alice than she was going to get when we visit the school tomorrow, so she asked if she could come to the house this evening. Joy and Michael graciously invited her to come and have dinner with us.

Tomorrow: Hutong Tour, Drum Tower, school visit, orphanage visit, and maybe Peking Duck for dinner.

 

2 comments:

  1. I had 3 days of post to catch up on. Wow looks like you all have been having so much fun. Great you all seem to be bonding so well what a great blessing. Really neat Alice teach came for dinner. So glad for you all the flight went well for Amy too. Praying the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy, I am back from Germany and yesterday and today I caught up with all your blog posts!! A lot of reading and pictures to look at, but very interesting. Thank you!! Looks like you are soo busy and I am sure you can't wait to get home. May God bless you for all you do. Looks like the two girls get along fine so far, that's great!
    When I fly to Germany I use melatonin and it really helps to go to sleep on the plane and it tastes fine. Just a thought... I don't know if you can get it there.
    My love to you all.

    ReplyDelete