Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 5 - Sightseeing in Zhengzhou

We have completed our business for this week so today was an opportunity to do a little sightseeing in Zhengzhou. Originally, I had considered a day trip to the famous Shaolin Temple, considered the birthplace of kung fu martial arts. Instead we opted for the local aquarium and provincial museum. Lucy enjoyed the aquarium, but the museum was a little too much walking and too much history for her. I'm glad I didn't invest in the temple visit.

Lucy wasn't interested, but you could feed these carp milk from baby bottles! They came right over when I approached to take the picture. When I held my hand near the water they came right up with open mouths.
This huge black Sea lion put on a little show.
There was also the "Ocean Theater" which had a story line I didn't understand, but there were 2 good guys, a mermaid and a bad guy. The bad guy lost. One of the good guys "danced" with a manta ray, than a giant sea turtle and a shark-like fish. Rather odd.
Not sure why there were arctic wolves at an aquarium. They didn't have much room or any play things in their enclosure.
We had a pleasant day with our guide, Emma, which concluded with a late lunch at her favorite restaurant in Zhengzhou. It is the second time we've eaten there with her this week and both times were excellent and very inexpensive. Emma loves eggplant and this restaurant has some terrific eggplant dishes. I didn't think to get pictures of the food which is unfortunate. Today especially the dishes were very interesting. The eggplant dish today took whole eggplant sliced in a spiral, then dipped in batter and deep fried. A beautiful and flavorful red sauce finishes the dish. The chicken dish today was also very good, with tomatoes, mushrooms and green peppers in a yummy sauce poured over crispy rice cakes which soak up the sauce.

On our way out of the restaurant 2 nights ago we were met by this black rooster strolling along the sidewalk. Today we were just leaving when I heard crowing - there he was again, hanging out around the corner and just walking along the sidewalk. Not the sights and sounds you expect in a big city like Zhengzhou.

Tomorrow Guangzhou!

No comments:

Post a Comment